TRAIL RELAY TRAINING PROGRAM: FINISH IT
Ready to take on a Trail Relay?
In other words, are you ready to thrive and truly enjoy as you run three loops of trails on less-than-ideal nutrition (Twizzlers and Cool Ranch, anyone?); minimal sleep; and team dynamics that can swing from amazing to argumentative in less than a mile?
Despite the logistical challenges, Relays are a blast that you will remember and laugh about for years if—a big IF—you train correctly.
Running three times in about a day requires thoughtful preparation which takes you from where you are right now, fitness-wise, and incrementally works up to completing 3 runs with little rest in between.
This Finish It Plan helps you do exactly that, and in doing so, gets you perfectly prepared for the (awesome but challenging) Run, Rest and Repeat cycle that is a Relay.
PREREQS: Prior to starting the 12-week Finish It plan, you should be able to run or do a run/walk pattern (read: move forward briskly and with purpose) for about 25 minutes without stopping. Walk breaks are fine now and during the training, but we don’t want you starting from absolutely nothing. That can easily lead to injury and/or burnout.
FEATURES OF THE PLAN
- Four runs/week for 12 weeks
- All runs are easy effort; we recommend running hillier routes starting in Week 5
- Four opportunities to complete three workouts in about 24 hours (perfect Relay prep!)
- Two strength-training sessions/week; we provide easy-to-execute circuits
- One/two optional cross training sessions/week
- One full rest day weekly, at a minimum
- One 8-9-mile runs
- One 10-mile run
- One 11-mile run (YOU CAN DO THIS!)